Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon Karma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I searched all over the internet, could not find a satisfying answer so far. So I'll gladly ask my question here. Very happy with any help offered!

I accidentally created an ...@icloud.com email address. It's not my apple ID. I've been using my ...@gmail.com email address for that since forever. I want to delete this redundant ...@iCloud.com address. Is this possible and if so, how?

Thanks for your reply!

With regards, Leon

Reactions: hch720

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
You'll never make it go away completely. Apple owns it. Once created you have no control over its existence. The best you can do is delete all references of the account in your email clients. Delete any credit card/bank info associated with it and never log in to it again. It will go on living in Apples database as an orphan account but as far as you are concerned it is "de facto" deleted.

As an aside, many people have multiple Apple IDs. I use one just for email and iCloud storage and a different one for iTunes and movie/TV purchases.

Reactions: hch720

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I accidentally created an ...@icloud.com email address.

Don't think you accidentally created one, you were given one.

Been a while, but recall when you create an Apple ID for the first time, you get a @me/@icloud email address that's attached to the account.

If that's the case, do not delete you payment information, as it's tied to your "real" Apple ID account tied to gmail address.

One benefit of the iCloud email address is that you can use it for accounts with secondary notifications. Eg. services/accounts you have that send an email that tell you "something changed on your xyz account". I use my iCloud as a recovery email address for Gmail. And other accounts are also using my "un-used" Outlook account.

Leon Karma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Hi! Thanks for your (prosaic) replies so far! I really did create it myself, just yesterday. I erroneously thought I needed it to have Mail synchronise an IMAP account across my different apple devices. So I created it, only to find out I did not need it. All I had to do was manually add the IMAP account on every device to have it synch beautifully, and now... I'm stuck with an obsolete @icloud.com address. Forever. My OCD reacts very badly to this situation.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I searched all over the internet, could not find a satisfying answer so far. So I'll gladly ask my question here. Very happy with any help offered!

I accidentally created an ...@icloud.com email address. It's not my apple ID. I've been using my ...@gmail.com email address for that since forever. I want to delete this redundant ...@iCloud.com address. Is this possible and if so, how?

Thanks for your reply!

With regards, Leon

Go to web site MyAppleID.com and delete to old email account , to easy!

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
As an aside, many people have multiple Apple IDs. I use one just for email and iCloud storage and a different one for iTunes and movie/TV purchases.

Same here - I created an old @mac.com account as part of iTools in the early 2000's that my wife and I still use today as our shared family account for iTunes and app purchases etc. I just realized that email is almost 20 years old now. Wow.

Leon Karma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Go to web site MyAppleID.com and delete to old email account , to easy!
Thanks for the reply, Satcomer

I followed your advice and I see the address listed as an alias to my Apple ID, but there's nothing there to actually delete it. I also googled "delete Apple ID alias" and get the same advice. I think this might only work with non-apple/iCloud email addresses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.