delete imported user

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stevp1, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Stevp1 macrumors regular

hey all, when I got my MacBook Pro, I imported my user (and all files) from my Powerbook, mostly to keep all my apps, as well as some docs. That old user folder is taking up about 31GB of space.

I'm done with all the old docs. Can I safely delete that users file, but retain the applications i brought over? That's my concern. And if so, do I just dump that whole user's folder, or is there a better way to do it?

thanks gang!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why has the user (you want to delete) still 31 GB of data?

And the applications should work, they are not in the user folder, only the settings are. Maybe you can copy them too, but that's quite a hassle and sometimes you don't have the proper rights (read and write rights).

And what do you mean by "the users file"?

3. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll admit, i'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to keeping old crap instead of deleting.:D But that's really why I'm asking the question.

Sorry, that was a mistake, I meant the user folder.

I'm just worried about some apps that require registration or activation not working when I delete the user.

thanks much for the rapid response.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Save the following folder: Users/(your user)/Library.

It contains every setting of yours and, I think all the licence files if needed.

Under Users/(your user)/Library/Application Support are the most important ones concerning the applications.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The best way to delete a user is through system preferences. There is an option to delete the user. Do that, do not just delete the folder as that can cause issues.

Once you delete in system preferences I think it moves the user folder to a deleted users folder, or at least gives you the option of this. If it does, you can safely delete the deleted users folder assuming you have confirmed there is no data in it you need.

6. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

That worked! thanks all.