delete invisible file and folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by soltan, May 4, 2009.

1. soltan macrumors newbie

hi
    i just turn invisible file on in my finder
    i just wanna know which one is ok to remove in order to make more space in my hard
    tanx

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd leave them all unless you absolutely know what you're doing. If you give us the names of some that are taking up large amounts of space we might be able to tell you for sure but there are probably thousands of hidden files/folders on your drive, most of which are very very small and not worth deleting.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think that if you don't know which files are those, you should keep them all. If they are hidden that's probably to prevent inexperienced users from deleting them.

Plus, I think that there are too many of them so that we can say one my one which can be deleted, which not.

If there is a specific file which is really big and that you want to delete, you can post the name and we'll see ;)

Tex

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In general files that are hidden are done so for a reason, to prevent users from seeing them or to prevent users from deleting them.

I wouldn't go around deleting invisible files or folders.

Download something like DiskInventoryX or OmniDiskSweeper to find out what is taking up your disk space. You still have to be careful what you delete via this program as there are many many files that shouldn't be deleted. Make sure you know what you are deleting.