Delete iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaynecobb, Apr 23, 2015.

1. jaynecobb macrumors member

I've got a Macbook Air so I try to keep it as clean as I can.

The iPhone application is 20G, can I delete that? I can see all of my photos in the ICL so I assume that means they have all been captured for the old iPhoto library.

Would I be clear to now delete this. I am "downloading the originals" onto my iMac(i.e. not my Macbook Air) so in theory I no longer need to keep them.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't want iPhoto any longer, then just drag it to the trash. I will say having the iPhoto app take up 20 gigabytes doesn't really sound right. My iPhoto app is only 1.7GB.

Are you sure you're talking about the app or the iPhoto library?

3. jaynecobb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry you are right I probably misspoke, perhaps it is the Library. It is the icon iPhoto. (Immediately underneath is the Photos icon).

I am ok with not having the iPhoto application.

I guess what I am asking is I believe at this point that any photos I had in the iPhoto library would have been moved to the cloud. So I think I would be ok to delete them. But I'm not actually sure if that would be true.

I do as mentioned download the originals to my iMac, this particular library was on my Macbook Air. So It think what would have happened is the photos on my Macbook Air would have been transferred to my iMac via the cloud. I'm mostly just confirming this to be true. In the old world I would have had to manually do this. I just don't want to somehow lose those pictures

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't, I prefer to keep control of my own images, but that's just me.

5. iriki macrumors newbie

Still I want to delete it, but Yosemite refuses to do so.

6. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

I have tried. It seems that you cannot drag iPhoto to trash. I doubt there is a way to do this?

7. DJLC, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

If you've backed up your iPhoto Library and are satisfied that your stuff is elsewhere...

You can force delete stuff with Terminal if you're comfortable. Keep in mind you can get in big trouble with this if you don't follow the instructions...

To remove iPhoto, copy and paste into Terminal...
    Code:
    rm -r /Applications/iPhoto.app
    To remove the iPhoto Library, copy and paste into Terminal...
    Code:
    rm -r ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library.photolibrary

8. Linuxpro macrumors regular

I deleted it on mine using the command line. It is gone forever, along with Photo Booth, Mail, messaging, chess, garage band, and all that other bloatware. I also removed the iSight camera driver, the spotlight search demon, and the airdrop demon. I have not had any problems.