Delete iTunes Movies from iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jazz1, Nov 9, 2015.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've got 218.26 GB of movies on my iMac in iTunes Movies. They are all purchased via iTunes. I must have downloaded them while watching movies on the iMac rather than streaming them. I'd like to get the disk space back, and of course keep them in iTunes for streaming or downloading again when needed.

How do I do this. I can see in the upper right hand corner of the movie icon a cloud and a downward pointer. I understand these are not on my local hard drive. There are other movie icons without that the downward pointer. I am assuming these are on my hard drive.

I can figure out how to delete them. Hitting the X in the left hand corner only lets me "hide" the movie. I can't drag the movie icon into the trash.

2. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Be careful. Movies, ebooks and audiobooks can not be downloaded for free again if you delete them. This is only working with music and apps.

You should backup them to an external drive.

3. tratclif macrumors newbie

@Erdbeertorte, what you can redownload varies by country https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204632 Since jazz1 is in the US, they should be able to redownload movies, but Apple does not guarantee that they will keep all movies forever, so copying to a backup drive is a good idea.

To delete a movie, right-click or control-click on the movie, and select Delete (or select a movie, click Edit and Delete). Since Jazz1 is trying to recover hard drive, they should select Move to Trash and then empty the Trash one they have deleted movies.

4. McScooby macrumors 6502

Think you also have to turn off auto downloads for movies / check for available downloads in preferences.

5. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Hey thanks all. I tried searching for the answer via Google and these forums, but had to ask for help here.