Delete Key Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Aug 6, 2008.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Is there a way, when typing in Safari, Mail, or even Word/Excel, to "forward delete" text? In other words, rather than moving your cursor to the right of text and hitting the delete key to backspace-delete it, can you use some key combo to be able to hit the delete (or other) key, and have it delete text in front of the cursor, akin to the "del" key functionality on a (yuck!) PC?

thanks,
    Mark

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Yes, hold down the "fn" key and then hit delete.

3. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

No problem, this was something I wish that I knew when I first got my Mac, it took me a while to find it out.

5. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm a recent switcher - I purchased a MBP as a birthday present to myself in April (awesome and incredible machine) - and this was one of the issues which arose given that the DEL key was an especially useful one in the old PC (Darkside) world. Thanks for that, very handy to know; this is a terrific forum for obtaining this sort of information.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic, black, 30 GB

7. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

From what I understand there is no way to do it without using another program. The only way I can think of doing it is to use a keyboard remaper program(Cant remember the name of any off the top of my head). This would allow you to make the DEL to the combination of Fn+DEL.

8. vermonter16 macrumors regular

This was an extremely useful comment! I hit everything with the delete key with the exception of the "fn" key.