Delete Key

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by em100, Feb 6, 2014.

1. em100 macrumors newbie

em100

My delete key is about to fall off my keyboard. Obviously this is an issue considering I use it every time I open my laptop. Has anybody else had this problem and/or know a solution?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Unless Apple can replace an individual key, then you will need a new keyboard.

3. cyber16 macrumors 6502

4. benjaminfoden macrumors member

This happened to me last year and Apple were very good about it. Several keys became loose on my MBA and I took it into the store, where they attempted to fit new keys but it transpired that I had lost the clips that hold the keys in place (there's 3 parts to it), so they replaced the whole top case under warranty.

They cannot replace just the keyboard as it is moulded in, but they will attempt to replace the keys and then it's a new case.

5. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I had an experience with this.

Got my first MBA and after a week one of the keys broke off. I have no idea how it happened. I was being really careful when using it since the computer was still pretty much brand new. I started typing and the key wouldn't press down. I inspected it closely and noticed that a piece of plastic ws stuck between the key and aluminium. I managed to remove it and the key felt much looser.

I took it straight down to my Apple store. There was absolutely no way I was paying for a replacement key from some 3rd party website after paying +£1000 only a week ago. They took it round the back to look at it but they said nothing was wrong with it. They said they could replace the entire keyboard for me...no thank you. I didn't believe it. So what was this piece of broken plastic that was stuck in my key??

I decided to just go home and call apple up to replace the computer. I took the key off myself to have a look and yes it was a little piece of plastic that hooks onto the little scissor mechanism that was broken off.

Apple sent out a replacement no problem. I had to return that though because it was damaged. The aluminium on One of the corners was heavily chipped.

Apple sent out a third replacement. Broken return key. Sent it back for a refund.

So yes, it might not happen to every macbook air but they definitely do have a problem with keys. My model was the mid 2012 model. It sucks that they haven't fixed this with newer models which i assume yours is?

6. em100 thread starter macrumors newbie

em100

thanks

Thanks everyone i will make an appointment with apple, update will follow.