Delete Language Translations from current Lion Install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gregintosh, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Hey guys,

I want to make sure as little of my 128GB SSD is wasted as possible. I got around 80GB left and I haven't even put on my iTunes library or iPhoto in here. I am actually waiting for iTunes Match so that I can just "download" as I go rather than bust the entire 20GB of music into it.

Anyway, I have XSlimmer (I have a license I bought back in '08) so I was able to remove extra binaries and language translations from individual apps. That saved about 750MB - 1GB (I had to do a few passes because of some settings I messed so I don't remember how much it was in each pass but it was in that ballpark).

I am now interested in getting rid of the OS language translations. I know by default Apple installs around 1.2GB worth of them on there. Any easy way to get rid of them so I can reclaim the space?

I'd prefer this to starting from scratch and reinstalling everything since I just now got things working the way I like. If there's no way to do this, I guess I will just forget about it but if there is I'd want to do it now.

2. iLoveiTunes macrumors regular

monolingual is what you are probably looking for ;)

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

What about printer drivers? Not sure if I want to delete them, but just checking. I know there is a program for that, but I can't quite recall its name.

4. crspechicn macrumors newbie

If you haven't already, delete the sleepimage file (after you've disable safe sleep) -- that will save 4 GB alone:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20070302210328928

Tips is from 10.4 but same applies. I am running without safe sleep right now after following those directions and deleting the sleepimage file.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

6. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

I just ran it. It increased my space from 82.4 GB free to 83.3 GB free, so close to 1GB... that is on top of the 700-1GB I saved previously from XSlimmer. :D Now I am satisfied.