Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I had Xcode installed and X11, but now I've removed them. How big should my /Library/Frameworks folder be for non-coder use? It's 302MB, which seems a bit big?

And is it safe to delete everything from the /Library/PrivateFrameworks folder?

Anything else that needs deleting after removing XCode?

//edit: changed question slightly

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
/Library/Frameworks may have some things in it from something other than XCode... Application Enhancer (APE), DivX, Stuffit, and some others install things there. So if you delete, you might want to do a hand-search first. My PrivateFrameworks is empty without XCode.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Thanks for the info.

Is it fine to delete everything in /Library/Logs ? It's 5GB.

It'll be safe to delete any numbered log - e.g. DirectoryService.server.log.1, but leave the unnumbered ones, eg. DirectoryService.server.log

What logs take up to 5GB? I would be concerned about whatever's logging that much. My /Library/Logs is 800kB (yes, "kilobytes", that's not a typo).

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Thanks! I used onyx to clear them safely; back down to 53kb.

I have no idea how it reached 5GB. If I notice it again I'll look at where the bulk is coming from and post back. The virtual memory isn't stored in the Logs folder by any chance?

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Try using the (EDIT) du comand to help. Sometimes windowserver.log can balloon out of control, although that log is in /var/log. It's strange for /library/logs to be getting that full.
Sounds like a possible problem of mine! Next time I run out of memory I'll check it, thanks for the link.

No - /private/var/vm
Ahh, good to know. :)

My memory always runs out. I'll delete this folder now…

(just kidding!!! : P)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
FWIW, my iBook /library/logs is about 780k. :) My ipfw.log is, on the other hand, 126MB! :eek: What the faux? :( It has lines like this, over and over and over again.

Code:
Feb 15 08:45:56 MK-iBook-G4 ipfw:  35000 Deny UDP 0.0.0.0:68 255.255.255.255:67 in via en1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.