Delete LockBackground.jpg without Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajthomason, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

This is a fun one...

My iPhone was jailbroken, but now I am running 3.0 (legally) and decided not to jailbreak for now (I've done it on 3.0 too many times, it is just too buggy to work properly, but that is another discussion).

The problem is that I restored my iPhone from a backup and now I cannot change the lock screen wallpaper - I've had this before when Jailbroken because the permissions were set wrong on the file, so deleting LockBackground.jpg fixed the problem, but now I am not jailbroken and obviously can't do that using SSH.

Does anyone know of a way to force the iPhone to delete the file or delete it some other way? Diskaid doesn't work with 3.0 and i-funbox needs a jailbroken phone to access those files.

Any chance I can extract a backup from 3.0, delete the file and then restore it to my iPhone? iPhone Backup Extractor fails to get the system files from my 3.0 backups so that is no use.

Thanks.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

1. Jailbreak 2.2 and restore. remove/change the LockBackground.jpg. Sync your phone and load 3.0, restore that new backup.
    2. Restore to 3.0 set up your phone as new.

3. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed both options that I've considered - I won't do number 2 because I like having past texts and calls :)

Your first option is my fall-back as I wouldn't mind enabling emoji as well as I didn't do it when I made the current backup (i did enable the battery percentage though, which is very useful on 3.0).

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You could always backup your non-development iPhone and then restore your 3.0 iPhone with that. You do have 2 different devices right? :p

5. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed... but one of them is an iPod Touch and if I restored the backup to there I would lose all my SMS and call settings :rolleyes:

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Actually... it's funny... if you restore your iPod touch to an iPhone backup, the SMS messages are stored too... there's just no way to access them beceause it doesn't have an SMS app. The SMS database is still there. That would only happen though if you restored an iPod touch TO an iPhone backup... so in your case, I don't think that will work.

I would just jailbreak again, fix the file, then backup and restore.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I have emoji's on my 3.0 right now. Typing Genius still works to set it up.