Delete Mac programs or just install on PC??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lealea226, Nov 6, 2009.

1. lealea226 macrumors newbie

lealea226

Hi,

Im tossing up whether to buy a new MacBook Pro or a Sony VAIO or any normal PC laptop. What is holding me back is I wasn't sure which was easier to do; either delete some of the software the Apple MacBook comes with so I have room to upload my own programs ie: AcidPro, MSN, Adobe Photoshop 7.0 etc, or if I should just get a normal Windows PC laptop and just upload the programs that Mac comes with by defualt that I want to keep such as iTunes, which is the best option?
    There are alot of programs that come on the Mac that I dont really need or want to use so I would delete them but Im not sure if it's just easier to get a normal laptop and uplaod all my programs individually on that since they dont come with default programs like iTunes?

Im also not sure if Mac are a higher performance than normal laptops or if everyone just prefers Macs because they come with programs that other latops dont. Please help me with my dilemma!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The apps are different ... your MSN, Photoshop 7 and other apps will not work on a Mac. There are alternatives, though.

3. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Personally, I would buy a mac - simply because I find PC's frustrating to use. I would have thought however that you could get a big enough hard drive so you don't have delete things? Have you thought of using an external hard drive to store personal files, so as not to have to delete anything?

4. lealea226 thread starter macrumors newbie

lealea226

Oh really?? Ahh ok so I have no choice but to get another brand of laptop if I want to be able to upload those programs? Do you have any suggestions of any laptops that are small and compact but have alot of memory? I was leaning towards a Sony VAIO but Im not sure if theyre good or not?

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I mean no offense here, but I think you're missing the big picture.'

First, apps on the Mac aren't taking up that much drive space in comparison to the total drive space available for the computer.

Second, the two operating systems are completely different. They require different apps that wouldn't be shared or installed on both OSes... usually - although a few older apps shipped with both versions on the same CD.

You really need to understand that installing Mac software and OS on a PC is very complex and probably not even possible.

If you buy a Mac and want to install Windows on it, now there's a real possibility. At the same time, you will not need to remove any Mac OS X software or apps. They might fill 10 GB of space on a 160 GB drive. And then installing Windows 7 and a bunch of apps might get you to 15 GB on the Windows side. This is the least complex approach and potentially viable depending on your knowledge and experience.

All apps you buy or have will probably be either Windows or Mac. Will also need virtualization software if you want both OSes operating at the same time. Or can use Boot Camp and boot into OS X or Windows... this would all be on an Apple computer. It just isn't going to be easy or likely on a PC, as running OS X and its apps aren't likely on a PC without some advanced knowledge and experience to get everything working together where it's not natively meant to.

Bottom line, don't just "delete" files to "save" space as you will not need to with the massive drive space starting at 160 GB and going up to 1 TB on Macs.

Good luck.

6. lealea226 thread starter macrumors newbie

lealea226

This will be my first purchase of a laptop and all my lfie Ive only used PC computers so I dont know how to use a Mac and what it comes with, so I thought maybe I could somehow fit my PC programs onto a Mac becuase alot fo the Mac defualt programs it comes with i really dont need to use so It would end up just wasting space. I thought of that but I would prefer if everythign was just on the laptop ready to use when I needed it instead of using a external hard drive.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They are completely different. Everything is different. You should not consider a Mac until you try one.

8. lealea226 thread starter macrumors newbie

lealea226

Ahh ok, sorry I know my question must seem stupid but Ive never in my life used a Mac and this is the first time Ill be buying my own laptop and I wasnt sure which was better. The only mac program I would really need is iTunes and thats easy to download on a PC computer, so i mgiht just get a normal laptop instead of a Mac, it seems too comlicated to get a Mac if I have PC programs to upload. Thanks anyway! Any suggestions for good PC laptops?

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Try a PC forum.

There are plenty of them out there.

10. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Not to offend you (seriously), but you can take a browse through "Snow Leopard For Dummies" at a book store before buying it.

I've spent my entire life starting in school using a PC (34 now) and I never thought I would look at the Mac OS. Yeah, I heard it's "easier" (once you lose all thos MS bad habits) despite only a small percent of the world's population using them, but the Mac OS seemed to alien to me and I resented the elitist attitude of Macphiles (that will probably never go away! :p).

About 8 months ago I started reading pro-Mac websites including this and opening my mind to the concept and found it very convincing! So much so, that I'm saving for a MacBook Pro (15") and never even touched a Mac until 2 Saturdays ago (not since I was a kid toying around on the 1984 Macintosh lol). The whole dock-thingy and where programs and files are accessed threw me off (I was only there for 10 minutes) and gave me cold feet.

I consider myself to be at least a little above average in the knowledge of computers and thumbing through a "...For Dummies" book taught me a few things I never would have considered (like the proper shut down of a Mac laptop). And I NEVER would have thought I'd be the type of person to need to go to a "...For Dummies" book! :p It can't hurt to borrow one from the library as you start your journey (if you don't want to buy the book; I most likely will).

As one who never typed on anything other than a desktop keyboard, the laptop keyboard... ANY laptop keyboard, phases me. lol Should be interesting! But the REAL test for buying a MacBook is to see if I like it enough to one day throw away PC life for good and get a shiny 27" iMac. Now I know, I know... that could open up a whole can of worms of "you don't NEED an iMac as your primary, a MacBook is enough"/"no it isn't..." debate. Maybe a MacBook Pro will be enough for me. We shall see.

Good luck to you. You are not alone, dude! :D Sorry for being long-winded. :apple: Happy Apple-ing.