Delete music from disk with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millerrh, Dec 31, 2011.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

Doing a little iTunes housekeeping today and discovered an issue.

I know this used to work for me...I would delete a song and it would ask me if I want to delete from disk or remove from the library.

Now, I no longer have the delete from disk option showing up.

I would like to be able to use iTunes to delete things from my computer like I used to and cannot figure out what changed. Did they remove this from a recent update? (Running Lion 10.7.2 and iTunes 10.5.2)

It is possible I haven't tried this since upgrading to Lion, so maybe this is something that changed with Lion?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

Reset dialog warnings in settings advance and see if it turns up.

3. millerrh, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that and now I get the dialog but it is missing the option to delete from disk.

[​IMG]

It should be noted I have always put my music in a different folder than the iTunes/Music folder because I prefer to organize by Genre. It never seemed to matter since iTunes would allow me to delete things before though. I'm wondering if this behavior as it relates to non iTunes managed libraries has changed at all.

EDIT: I tried deleting a song that was located in the iTunes Music folder to test out my theory about this being a non-iTunes folder related issue and if I do CMD+Del it does work as expected.
    I know for a fact I used to be able to do this...I have no idea what would have changed that this is now not working. But maybe I'll just rebuild my iTunes library and have it copy everything to the folder.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes will delete files if they're in your iTunes Media folder, as selected in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. If they're not in that folder, iTunes won't delete the files. You need to do that manually. Also, if you have selected to have iTunes copy files when adding them to your library (in the same Preference pane), you may still have the original files on your drive(s).

5. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

I don't know about music not in the iTunes Media Folder but when I delete a song I get the same dialog as you. If I press delete song a new dialog appears asking if I want to just delete the song from library or move it to the trash. (Thats the same dialog thats appears directly if you press CMD+Backspace)

Finally, if you're trying to delete a song when in a playlist the song will only be deleted from the playlist, unless you use ALT+Backspace or ALT+CMD+Backspace. It will then also be removed from your library.