Delete music from itune but keep on iphone

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by superliu, Jan 21, 2016.

1. superliu macrumors member

Can anyone please explain how I can delete music from my itune but keep it on my iphone?

I have limited space on my laptop, but I still have 80GB on my phone that i want to fill up.

Thanks,

2. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Are you using Apple Music or are they from iTunes?

3. superliu thread starter macrumors member

I have both. I listen to music on Apply Music, but I still keep a library on iTune. Not everything I listen to is available on Apple Music. How can I delete it from iTune, but keep on the iphone?

4. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

If you upload everything to your iCloud music library (this should happen automatically) you can remove downloads of your songs from iTunes but keep them there, but it is not possible to completely delete all music without it also deleting it from your phone

5. superliu thread starter macrumors member

Then i find the whole thing a little silly. They sell laptops with 128 GB, and iphones with 128 GB. So if you want to fill your phone with music, your laptop will have to max out too?? I have a 128GB phone, my laptop is 500GB, but that's beside the point.

I wish there's a way to add it to the phone only since that's the only source i listen to my music from.

6. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I agree it's pretty pointless. But if storage is all you are worried about you can delete them from your local storage while still keeping them on your iCloud music library