delete original photos in iPhoto 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eckndu, Feb 15, 2009.

1. eckndu macrumors member

lately i realize how my iphoto library has grown huge, and many original photos can be deleted forever.
    i searched the web and find the perfect app "iphoto diet", unfortunately it was not full supported by iPhoto 08, (iphoto7)

then i thinked of a noob way to do it: in iphoto window, could I just drag all the events' photos i wanna keep to separate temp folders. then delete the iphoto library file alltogether, and then reimport all the backuped pictures again, will that work?:D

2. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

That would work but I have a couple of tips for you;

1 - Create a folder with all the pictures you want to keep
    2 - Select all your pictures and use 'Export'.
    3 - Delete your iPhoto Library (or save it in case something goes wrong)
    4 - Hold 'alt' as you launch iPhoto, 'create new library'.

The reason I say to use 'export' instead of Drag n Drop is because, export will retain all your ratings, locations, filenames and tags.

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Save ALL the original files in the iPhoto Library to DVD First. ie. User pictures > iPhoto Library > right click show package contents. Photos cannot usually be replaced and a DVD or two is cheap insurance

Use Export in iPhoto and check the 'Kind' setting first..

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

70G doesn't fit onto a DVD :(

5. thesheem macrumors newbie

Using File > Export

Doesn't File > Export just export photos? What about all our videos?

6. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem. I deleted some videos from iPhoto but my iPhoto library size is the same and my HD space remaining is also the same, so its not fully getting deleted. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

7. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes.

9. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

The software description say that it just deltes duplicate photos. But that is not my problem, I want it to fully delete all the photos and videos that I have already deleted from iPhoto. Is this possible? Sorry but I want to be sure before I make any purchase. Thanks for your help.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not sure what you mean. What the program does it look for two copies of the same photo. For example if you imported a photo, then edited that photo, you will have the original and the edited version both still on your hard drive. The program will find photos like that and allow you to delete the original and only keep the edited version, thus freeing up some drive space.