Delete original user account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pelachile, May 9, 2007.

1. pelachile macrumors newbie

I purchased my iMac G4 17" 800mhz 768mb from someone used. I would like to delete their user account as I am tired of seeing my computer being called meme's computer.

Also, my hard disk does not show in the finder, just Network and my flash drives. Is this normal?

One more thing flash sites are really slooow on this Mac. Is that just because my processor sucks or is there some setting I don't know about.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do delete a user account:

System Prefs->Accounts
    Highlight the account you want to remove and click on the minus sign.

To change what is on the left hand side of finder
    Finder->Preferences->Sidebar

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can also drag and drop items to the sidebar. With an 800MHz processor, I'd expect it to struggle a little with Flash sites too. :eek:

4. pelachile thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, got my disk in the side bar. I think I asked the wrong question. I have already deleted the old user account. What I should have asked, how do I change the name of the computer, i.e, in the finder the silly name she gave it shows up in the to of the finder.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

To change the computer name:
    System Preferences->Sharing->Computer Name

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sounds like you're actually asking about changing the name of the hard drive. Click on the hard drive icon on the Desktop once to select it, then click again on its name. That will allow you to change the name.

7. pelachile thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, youz guys are good. Try this one on for size. I liked this mac so much I decided to buy another one. Here is my problem, I want to get my programs from the G4 to the G5 without having to reinstall, because I am no longer in possession of the install disks. That means moving Dreamweaver and Flash 8 along with Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS2 and GoLive. Can this be done?

And then, I read somewhere that there is a hack for the iMac G5 that allows dual monitors and not just mirroring is this true? Because I will probably wipe the G4 and use it as a Unix server for MySql, Apache, and PHP.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

you could connect the two via firewire, then clone your G4 disk onto your G5 i suppose

9. pelachile thread starter macrumors newbie

And that can be done with existing software or is there some software I need to get?

10. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I believe you should be able to connect the two with a firewire cable, start the G4 you are copying from in Target Disk mode (hold down the T key immediately after pushing the power on, until the Firewire symbol comes up) - then it should appear as a mounted volume on the G5.

Then use the Migration Assistant (in Applications > Utilities) to transfer all your settings across.

That's probably the safest.

Alternately, swap the Target Disk mode around so that the G5 is mounted on the G4 desktop, format it and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to replicate the G4 disk onto the G5's, then reboot the G5 (I think that will work... drive might like to be blessed before it can boot from it.. maybe..)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that Target Disk Mode + Migration Assistant stuff is all part of OSX. The Screen Spanning Doctor may help you with your second display and the iMac G5. :)