Delete Pages 5 and reinstall at a later date?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jayes, May 5, 2014.

1. jayes macrumors regular

Pages 5 came preinstalled on my new iMac. If I delete it, will I be able to download it again from the App Store? Wasn't sure if the fact that it was not downloaded in the first place meant that the App store would not consider it "purchased" and those would not have it listed for re-download.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

My experience has been that when I delete it, it reappears in Software Updates automatically.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Just be sure that you redeem it in the App Store app before you delete it, then it will be tied your your account and you can reinstall whenever you wish.

4. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

How does one "redeem" it if it came preloaded?

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Go to the Purchases page in the App Store. Pages (as well as Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, iPhoto, and iMovie) should all be there.

On a brand new Mac these programs are not installed, but an invitation to download will appear here in the App Store for downloading them.

If you don't see them in the App Store at all, something is wrong -- was the Mac purchased from Apple?

6. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

Pages was already installed on the iMac which was purchased at the Apple store. It is not listed under purchases. It is listed under updates as there is an update to this version of Pages available. So what happens if I delete it?

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Something seems wrong here. When I connected my newest Mac (bought this year) the first time, it asked for my account and downloaded the apps. They appear in the store as purchased. I'd delete Pages and see if you can download it again for free. If not, call AppleCare.

8. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to delete it?

9. jayes thread starter macrumors regular

I'd prefer to use the older version of Pages that I had on my older iMac. I know you can keep both on the computer, but if you click a Pages document, it wants to open that document with the newer version. Just seemed simpler to delete the newer version until that time I want to update. Same for Numbers and Keynote.

Fairly new to Macs.. is there a place in system preferences where I can tell the computer which version of Pages to use all the time?

10. chrfr macrumors 603

No, both the old and new version of Pages use the same identifier so the OS can't distinguish between them. It will always try to open documents in the newer version.