delete photos in iPhoto '08

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xtempo, Mar 5, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

I am wondering if I delete the photos in iPhoto will the photos in the cache be deleted or the photos off the HD. I have my pictures on another HD and would like to start over in iPhoto since it is showing duplicates and is rather cluttered.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

What is "the cache" ??

iPhoto has a library, which is on the disk (obviously?!). If you delete a picture from iPhoto, you are deleting it from the disk its on.

If you have your pictures elsewhere as well, and iPhoto is not aware of them, then ?obviously? it wont delete those.

If you go to Preferences > Advanced is "copy photos to library' ticked?

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It depends...

If you have "copy photos to Library" checked, then you can delete your entire iPhoto Library and start over and lose nothing IF you still have your photos backed up somewhere else. If you don't have "copy photos to Library" ticked, the fact you can still see them means iPhoto knows where they are and they are still there. You will have to import them all over again but deleting iPhoto Library merely deletes all the metadata (events, faces and places) and leaves your photos alone.

The most dangerous situation is if you are using Photostream and you haven't exported your photos, deleting iPhoto Library deletes your only copies of many of your photos! In this case, I would recommend exporting photos from Photostream before deleting iPhoto Library and starting over.

But wait. There's a better solution.

Hold down option when you launch iPhoto and tell it to start over with a brand new iPhoto Library. Just ignore the old one. iPhoto should use the new library until such time as you hold down option and tell it to switch libraries again. Leave the old one sitting on your HDD until you are happy with the new one. Then and only then you might decide to go back and delete the old one.

4. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I have decided to delete iPhoto and maybe reinstall it once I finish with my pictures.

Cache from the dictionary in OSX
    cache |ka sh |
    noun
    a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place : an arms cache | a cache of gold coins.
    • a hidden or inaccessible storage place for valuables, provisions, or ammunition.
    • (also cache memory) Computing an auxiliary memory from which high-speed retrieval is possible.
    verb [ trans. ]
    store away in hiding or for future use.
    • Computing store (data) in a cache memory.
    • Computing provide (hardware) with a cache memory.
    ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from French, from cacher ‘to hide.’

5. Tumbleweed666, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I didn't ask what is "a cache" I asked what is "the cache" to which you referred to. iPhoto doesn't have a cache in any sense you refer to. It has a library, but that isn't the same as a cache in computing terms since it's not temporary, or hidden.
    If you meant its library you should have called it that. And you still haven't answered the question, is "copy photos to library" ticked?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

7. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

If cache wasn't the right term then I don't see how Library is as it shows the pictures like Safari stores the last sites until you delete them.

It would be easier to show you instead of describing things. I have trouble sometimes explaining myself and understanding others.

Anyway when you go to the change desktop picture how do I get rid of the iPhoto Album choices ? I don't have any event and when I did there duplicate events. I have more control on what I want to keep and delete manually so I'll just re-install iPhoto later.

How are the pictures group in events? Are they complied by the actual folders or the meta data of the pictures themselves?