delete pics/video on "camera roll"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by saladiro, Jul 3, 2009.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

so i have a ton of pics/videos i took with my camera , when i sync to itunes/iphoto, i drag the pics to the appropriate folders (e.g. b days, partys etc... but how do i delete then off the iphone to save space/memory

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The best way I found was to make a separate folder of what you actually want on the iphone, and then sync that folder. There's no way I know of to actually delete the photos you sync to the iphone manually or by drag and drop (since itunes doesn't have pics). It's kind of a pain, I know, but until I hear differently that's all there is.

3. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

actually just did that, and when (this is similar behavior to a digital camera) it's done importing, its says "keep or delete originals" when I moved ALL, to a new folder and said delete, it actually took all off my ihone camera, but when i tried to do one or 2, and hit yes to delete originals, it did not work...odd, but it seems to work for "all"

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You confused me there. :)

Anyway, you might want to rephrase what you're asking. If I understand, you want to say keep originals, or the next time you sync, it will delete all the pics off your iPhone (if you don't manually manage your iPhone). I've had to redo mine one time because I screwed this up when I first got my iPhone.

5. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hmmm...ok... let me see if I can explain better, in iphoto under devices, there is my iphone camera with the number 53 (number of pics) when I dragged one of those pics to a new folder (cause I want to get them off my iphone camera), and hit "delete original", the pic was still there in the camea under devices.

so next time i sync, this will get deleted?

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

If you are using iPhoto then use the "import" function to get them off the phone. At the end of the import it will ask you if you want to keep or delete the originals, selecting delete will remove them from the camera roll.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, you have iPhoto. I don't have a Mac, but my son does, and he couldn't answer me on how iPhoto would work with the iPhone (since he doesn't have an iPhone). So, I don't know the answer to your question. Are you able to use iPhoto to drag pics straight to the iPhone (i.e. you don't have to use iTunes)?

8. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

let me try a few things and get back to ya

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Just to check, you do know you can delete them the camera roll on the phone itself? There's a dustbin symbol when you're viewing a pic......

10. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

tks....is there a way to delete all

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's only for photos you take with the iPhone.

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, when I want to do that, I connect the phone to my Windows PC, and it shows up as a camera in Windows Explorer. The photos are listed in the explorer pane and I can select all and just hit Delete. That works.

Or the Camera Wizard in Windows lets me import and delete. That works too.

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, true, and for the pics you sync through iTunes, you just need to remove the folder from the sync list and re-sync. Or move them from the folder you're syncing from and re-sync.