Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I am trying to find the best way to use Mail.app for my POP3 account (at&t yahoo) and would like to know if there is a way to have Mail.app automatically delete a message from the server when I delete it locally? This is an option in Entourage, but I have not found it in Mail. The only options that I can find are to delete upon downloading or after a period of time. I am also checking into IMAP accounts, but have not found many so far (AIM is free but very lacking in features).

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
When using POP your email client is downloading the mail off the server (unless you tell it not too). So technically its already "deleted" on the server and deleting it from Mail.app is not doing anything but removing it locally.

There is an option to leave a copy of the email on the server when using POP. Are you asking about leaving this option on and then choosing one by one to delete or not delete from the server?

If so you should be using IMAP...however I don't think AT&T/Yahoo mail accounts support this.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
this option on the "advanced" tab in accounts does it:

maildeleteoptions.png

i'm not sure it works with primarily web based accounts, however (if this AT&T Yahoo! account is one).

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Yes, I'm wanting to leave things on my mail server so that I can view them from anywhere via the web client. Somebody in the Apple forum suggested that I set Mail to remove the message from the server when I move it from the inbox, thinking that deleting a message locally would qualify as moving it from the inbox. I'm going to try that tonight to see if it works. When I first saw that option I assumed it was referring to when I moved a message to a local folder. I realize that an IMAP account is the better way to go, but the only free one that I have found is AIM/AOL, and it has limited options. I looked into .Mac but most people on here seem to think that it is a bad value, and doesn't give you much mailbox space. I haven't tried any of the others, such as 1&1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.