delete single file from trash ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by anonymous4a, May 4, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to delete a single file from the trash ? Or even better, delete a file by just right clicking on it without even having to sent it to the trash ? Is there a free app that does that ?

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

what are you trying to do exactly? put that ONE file in the trash by itself, empty the trash.

meanwhile... right click, select move to trash.

you can also turn off the warning before emptying the trash (under finder>preferences>advanced).

r u trying to find a way to right-click a file and have it simply deleted completely?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not sure why you would want to do that as opposed to just emptying the trash. I believe there are some terminal commands that would do it, but I'm not comfortable enough with terminal to try to tell you what to do there since I don't want to be responsible for telling you the wrong thing and having you delete something important.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is an app here that claims to do exactly what you want. I have never used it though.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There's a searching app called "EasyFind" that seems to have a similar feature. However, I believe this works only for files that have NOT been placed into the Trash.

- Search for file(s) in question
    - Select file(s)
    - Choose "Destroy" from File menu
    - File is immediately deleted

For some files, an administrative password may be required.

6. meme1255 macrumors 6502

1) Open Terminal
    2) rm (-r if folder) /path/to/file
    I don't use trash ...