Delete SMS/iMessage on Watch

akkkmed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I've deleted text messages on my iPhone but they're still showing up in Messages on the Watch. Any one have this happen and how do I delete them on the Watch?

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
Pretty pretty ingenious!!! Instructions!!!?? Really.... Have you read them? Have you noticed that they don't even tell about deleting messages? Have you even read the real problem we have??????? Obviously we do know how to delete a message from the watch. We are no stupids... But the real problem is that when we delete the messages on our iPhones, them are not deleted on watch. And please don't tell me that the solution is make two deletes (first in iPhone and then a second one on watch)

could you try it? I think it is a bug for some people....

MJ22

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2017
I don’t know why it’s different but that’s the way it is. Chill dude.

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
I've deleted text messages on my iPhone but they're still showing up in Messages on the Watch. Any one have this happen and how do I delete them on the Watch?
The next update that is coming up with alleviate your problem. (Messages in iCloud)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Messages aren't a sync'd feature and the Apple Watch retains messages for approximately 30 days.

With limitations the Apple Watch can operate independently of the iPhone. Provided the cellular carrier supports iCloud Calling this also includes SMS texting (sometimes not MMS though).

This will give the appearance you're watch is syncing with your iPhone for messages however its just using its data connection via bluetooth. If you turn your iPhone off and are connected to Wifi (or LTE) you will still be able to send and receive messages (plus make phone calls). So like an iPad or Mac, text messages deleted on your phone wont delete from from your other devices.

Like mentioned that is a feature that is coming fairly soon. Its not an easy thing to implement and I'll be curious of how its done. It will take some getting used to for its users though. I'll likely leave it off, I just deleted 4gb of messages from my iPhone (more storage than my AW has left) and I have every text I've ever received back to 2013 on my Mac which is about 8gb (for work I'll need to reference years back sometimes). I really hope there is an 'optimize for storage' toggle.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Really??? What sense has it? If delete a email on iPhone it disappears on watch. Why is it different on messages???
There is a big difference with E-Mail. Most email accounts are IMAP which mean they are Server Based, so the actions you take on one device are mirrored on all platforms. If your email was setup as POP (I don't know who still does this), then deleting an email on your iPhone wouldn't change on your iPad or desktop.

Now take SMS/iMessage. If you delete a message on your iPhone, does it also delete on your Mac or on your iPad. No, it doesn't. This is supposed to change when Messages in the Cloud is implemented. Since the Watch is a device that can receive an iMessage on a WiFi (or LTE if you have LTE) without being directly connected to your phone, it is a device that currently maintains its on storage of messages and are independent from what's stored on your iPhone. Remember, emails do not work over LTE without an iPhone. The watch always pulls the emails from the phone when the app is opened, so those apps are directly linked, unlike Messages.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
There is a big difference with E-Mail. Most email accounts are IMAP which mean they are Server Based, so the actions you take on one device are mirrored on all platforms. If your email was setup as POP (I don't know who still does this), then deleting an email on your iPhone wouldn't change on your iPad or desktop.

Now take SMS/iMessage. If you delete a message on your iPhone, does it also delete on your Mac or on your iPad. No, it doesn't. This is supposed to change when Messages in the Cloud is implemented. Since the Watch is a device that can receive an iMessage on a WiFi (or LTE if you have LTE) without being directly connected to your phone, it is a device that currently maintains its on storage of messages and are independent from what's stored on your iPhone. Remember, emails do not work over LTE without an iPhone. The watch always pulls the emails from the phone when the app is opened, so those apps are directly linked, unlike Messages.
May be because I’m on Beta on my iPhone & IPad but when I delete a message on my iPhone if ask if I want to delete on other devices. It doesn’t delete from my watch though. I hope this is fixed in the near future. I like the way it deletes from my other devices, saves a step.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
May be because I’m on Beta on my iPhone & IPad but when I delete a message on my iPhone if ask if I want to delete on other devices. It doesn’t delete from my watch though. I hope this is fixed in the near future. I like the way it deletes from my other devices, saves a step.
That’s the new Messages in the Cloud feature.