Delete system.log file??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pelicanesque, Nov 23, 2014.

1. pelicanesque macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini running 10.8.2 that has mysteriously run out of space. It is VERY BAD as it is the main audio playback computer at the theater I work at. It runs QLab, and that's it. A week ago it said "your startup disk is almost full". Now it is full, finder just stopped working altogether, making it impossible to run disk utility, etc.

I read all of the articles about the aslmanager and such, which prompted me to download Disk Inventory X. On a year-old carbon copy clone of the aforementioned Mac Mini, I found that there was a file taking up 59GB (!) of space. It is the private/var/log/system.log file.

I inspected the system.log file in Console and I got this message over and over and over again:
    (date) (time) localhost coreaudiod[140]: (date) (time) [AirPlay] ### Write request (2048, 2048 bytes) when player not fully started

I can watch as it does this every few seconds and watch my free space tick away. I googled the error and found that it is an issue with QLab, and am in the process of finding out how to get it to stop, but in the meantime, I think I will have to delete the system.log file since it takes up so much space. Can I do that??

Please help! I am running off of a backup machine that is likely to have this happen to it, too, as it is nearly identical.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes you can delete it. Mac OS X will recreate it when needed.

3. pelicanesque thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response! Is there any specific way to get rid of it or can I just trash it and then empty the trash can?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Move it to the trash, restart your machine, then empty trash. In that order.

5. pelicanesque thread starter macrumors newbie