Delete the Admin account to reset to factory defaults?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCheeto, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've got an iMac I'm selling and I'd rather delete the settings and accounts somehow than sit in front of it for 2 hours swapping CD's to reinstall Tiger.

I understand that in Single-User Mode you can delete the Admin account and therefore restore the machine, so that when you turn it on the next time and it doesn't detect any settings it gives you the Tiger intro, albeit annoying.

So? Anyone haz the command?

Also, post any commands for any other OS' to help OTHER forum guests, I know this would help a lot of people out with their for-sale Macs and new-used Macs.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I think you'll create a bigger mess and spend more time than doing a reinstall.

Just deleting the user won't delete any additional applications and or system settings.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Carp on a troller. I've seen the code posted on other forums before to "reset to factory defaults" and delete all accounts..

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Carp on a troller? :confused:

At any rate, if you've seen code elsewhere, go use it. I still think reinstalling is the best option to get back to square one. That will only install the default applications and will certainly remove all settings.

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Hm, the problem is I have to basically show how the iMac works to the buyer and then reset it in a short amount of time..

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Agreed. Everything else will leave all the system applications (anything you've installed into the Applications folder) and system-wide settings in place.

I'm pretty sure there is no magical reset command. If there was, there would be no need to reinstall - ever.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Then show them, and insert the discs and erase the hard drive(s). Then tell them to install the OS with the discs you hand them.

8. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Crap, my mom's really going to give it to me bad when I get home. :(

9. belvdr macrumors 603

I had a feeling you weren't sharing all the details. Honestly, reinstalling the OS is the way to get this done.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

The method you've seen is for "re-sealing" a fresh install of OS X. It is not a method of short-cutting that fresh install. I use it when selling a Mac or when a friend or relative buys a second hand Mac as a present for someone. I can format the hard drive with zeroes and do a full restore using the correct operating system, set up a temporary user and update everything and then remove the user and leave it in an "as new" condition for the recipient.

It involves booting into safe mode and then issuing 2 terminal commands. The first one removes the only user account present after a fresh install and requires the password for that user account. The second deletes the file that had been set once the initial setup had been done. The next time the computer is started, it re-runs the initial setup routine and a new user can enter their details.

It should not be used on a Mac that has seen use without a fresh install, as there are potentially lots of files relevant to the previous owner that are outside of that user's home directory.

11. dreamgood macrumors newbie

yah only solution for this problem is to re-install !

with out a fresh install you even cant change your macbook name !(if i am not wrong)

12. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

PERFECT! Buddy, that's exactly what I need right now! I created an account called "user" just for the sake of installing the updates and installing iPrograms and now I need to delete that account so that the person I sell it to is FORCED into setting up their own account and learning things 1 step at a time!

You haz the commandy handy?

13. belvdr macrumors 603

Did you read that carefully? It is for a fresh install. If you do this to your machine, which is not a fresh install, you're leaving behind system-wide settings and files that would be removed by a fresh install.

Why do I get the feeling there's a sub-par deal going down.

14. belvdr macrumors 603

FYI, you can change the name without reinstalling.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You still need to reinstall everything for that to work properly.

16. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

For what to work properly? I installed using the Tiger CD's and it stayed cherry for about a month, then I realized it would be best to have the updates and the necessary iApps preinstalled so I created a User account.

I need this badly because I know whoever buys an iMac is a mook and a mook would know nothing about creating NEW users unless they were slowly walked through the Mook's Guide to setting up a Mac for the first time ><

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, you have done a fresh install, and haven't used the machine - except to install updates? If that's the case, it should be fine.

That's not true.

18. revs macrumors regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.