Delete timemachine backup on external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamcarvell, Jan 17, 2015.

1. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Hi newbie here i recently got a mac mini and tried at first to set up timemachine on my WDmyoud but didnt know how at first so i conected a external hadr drive formatted it and then set it up as timemachine temp. However i have since been able to set up the WDmycloud as timemachine and it works fine. Vut my external drive for music pics videos etc has a folder from time machine that wont let me delete says i dont have permisions right at the end have tried repair disc etc have made me the owner im the only one who uses this mac mini btw did o do somthing wring at format stage ?. Inhave read and write on it but it stll wont delete any ideara what ive done wrong or can rectify it other than reformatting and starting again or is my acoubt wrong only had the mac mini two days .

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Yeah the WDblack is excluded from tome machine . The link uou gave had a look but the option of ignore ownership of this drive isnt available to me ?.

----------

Just checked the folder and opend them all up one says in progress from yesterday ? Think that could be the problem ?. If it has do i fo about it only had a mac for two days was pc up untill then.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would try clicking the x box first, to stop the "in progress" message. If that doesn't work...

1) Open up a Finder window and navigate to your Time Machine drive. From there, find the Backups.backupd folder and open it up.

2) Select this "inProgress" file and delete it. The file should only be about 3-5kb, so you’re not deleting a backup file, but instead a progress and change log of sorts. With the file gone you can finish up.

3) Restart computer

4) Try deleting the Time Machine backup again. That should work.

5. adamcarvell thread starter macrumors regular

adamcarvell

I moved everthing off the drive and formatted it again then put files back on time machine is now on my NAS drive thanks for the advice im learning slowly about osx.