Delete unwanted preinstalled programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Аррlе, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Аррlе macrumors newbie

Аррlе

I use Mac for my job (custom applications) but I don't need many features on Mac.
    MacOS (incl latest OS X) looks like bloatware. Why is my system full of callhistory (I don't own iPhone), or calendar sync... when I need all computing resources only for that I need.
    I want to delete:
    • Mail
    • Contacts
    • Calendar
    • Photos
    • Photo Booth
    • iTunes
    • Chess
    • FaceTime
    • GameCenter
    • iBooks
    • Launchpad
    • Maps
    • Time Machine

I wonder anyone tried that?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Delete/turn off what you want, but know that there's no easy way to re-install many of the default system apps (Mail, Calendar, etc.).
    But they're not using any resources, save for a little bit of disk space, if they're not launched and running.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

xraydoc may know something that I don't but I've seen problems arise when stock apps are deleted. They are part of the overall macOS system software.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Software update will get confused if it does not find the pre-installed apps.

5. rich1812 macrumors regular

I hate those reinstalled app as well so I removed them as much as I can. But some apps better leave them live their miserable life. I got in trouble deleted them, if I remember correctly. iTunes, Mail and Time machine. I ended up have to re-install the OS. :(

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just create a folder called useless Apple Apps and stash it on the last page. But seeing this isn't an iPhone that won't be an issue. :p

7. rich1812 macrumors regular

8. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Plus, it doesn't look or search for them either. It expects them to be in /Applications and if not, it will add a 2nd copy. I tried to move apps that I didn't use or want to a sub-folder of Applications and I ended up with (2) copies of anything that I moved.

9. rich1812 macrumors regular

Unless you don't want Apple's software update. Every time it updates, all the junks will come back.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I would leave them where the OS puts them. See other comments about updaters "getting confused".