Delete User/Documents (or other User) folders?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by shinsundo, Jul 17, 2011.

1. shinsundo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I know this has been beat to death, but I do not want to move my whole User Directory (I'm doing the SSD / HD thing) and wanted to confirm there's no GUI way to delete these files and replace with a sym link. I'm not a terminal guy so if someone could confirm the command to delete directories in Lion - as well, does anyone know if a symlink with the same name (Documents, Downloads etc) will be seen correctly by the OS?

Thank you

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

3. shinsundo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you...I did see this article but thought it best to see if any syntax had changed in Lion

As well, this looks Terminal heavy and again that 's not my thang....guess it's gonna have to be ;)

Thanks again...

4. shinsundo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you...have you used the Symbolic Linker Service?

http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html

I got it installed in Lion by creating a services directory in my user library and it will easily create a symlink "alias"

Once I got my Documents directory deleted, I was going to drag a symlink of my old Documents folder into my user directory.

Do you think that'll do the trick? Thanks again...

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

From what I glanced at your link it looks like it will work. It just seems to make links for you, but I don't have trouble in terminal. It is a simple command and I'm sure for the few links you need to make you can handle it.