Delete User Library Folder - WiFi Issue

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dai.hop, Nov 14, 2011.

1. dai.hop macrumors member

dai.hop

All,

I have a problem with my installation of Lion. Whenever my computer wakes from sleep - it doesn't renew it's DHCP lease. This means that:

• web page loads just hang until I manually renew the lease, or toggle WiFi on and off
    • my Mac won't "wake for network access"

I have 27" iMac with a two drives, an SSD where the OS is installed, and a HDD where my user data is installed.

I performed a clean install of the SSD on the weekend, but as soon as I relinked the files on my HDD with my user profile the problem reappeared.

I'm thinking that there must be files in my user Library folder causing the problem.

Is it ok for me to just delete this folder?

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

No.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The user library contains many files, which may contain important information or be critical to applications. If you delete the entire folder, you will not be able to use that user account again, and will lose data.

Instead, you need to troubleshoot the actual issue. A good start would be to delete the following files (if they exist) from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (note that this is not your user library):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    com.apple.nat.plist
    com.apple.network.identification.plist
    NetworkInterfaces.plist
    preferences.plist

Those will be recreated if deleted, and then you will have to reenter any network settings that were manually entered previously.

Report back to us if that doesn't fix the issue.

jW

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never never delete a folder if you don't fully understand what's in it. As Mal says you will lose the account.

People sometimes go down below the user home directory and start deleting files to "save space" and wind up with a system that will not even boot.

5. dai.hop thread starter macrumors member

dai.hop

Thanks for your replies. I won't delete my library folder then!

Mal, I've already tried renaming the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder to SystemConfiguration.old - as per the instructions of Apple Care. I'lll try deleting the individual files anyway though, just in case.

Maybe it's my router...

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's quite likely. Do you have another one you can borrow? I don't know that I completely condone this, but you could go buy one from somewhere with a good return policy, and if it doesn't solve the issue, just take it back.

jW