Delete Watch App AND Keep Data

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rstark18, Oct 10, 2017.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I have an issue where almost all of my third party complications are missing. I've tried unpairing, rebooting, etc. I think the last step would be to delete the Watch App all together and reload it.
    I first have to unpair the watch which will do a backup.
    I will then need to delete the Watch App. But by doing this I assume I am also deleting the backup.
    Is there any way to delete the Watch App without losing all my data/settings?

2. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

I think you would need to create an encrypted backup of your iPhone in iTunes after unpairing your Watch. Then you can delete the Watch app, and then restore your iPhone from the backup, thus saving your data and settings. Then re-pair your Watch.

3. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about that but when I restore from backup I'll be reloading my Watch App which I would think have the corrupted settings.

4. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do I lose anything if I delete the watch app and re-download it?

5. ttforever macrumors regular

It won't actually delete the watch app, it just hides the icon - I think

6. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That’s right. But it says it will unpair the watch. So I guess the only way to get the complications back is to set the watch up as new.

7. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Have you checked that the apps in question have actually downloaded to your Watch?

8. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I can open them on the watch. I might just wait until 4.1 before I erase it.

9. newellj macrumors 604

If I'm understanding your question, when you unpair the Watch it makes a backup on your phone. When you pair a new Watch, you have the option during setup of restoring the old Watch's apps and settings. I did this when I returned a WiFi S3 for an LTE S3. I lost no data.

10. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No what I ultimately wanted to do is delete the watch data in the iOS app

11. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Haven't heard of this problem. Do you have another thread where you talk about the missing complication problem?