Delete whole conversation in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macdude66, Oct 21, 2011.

1. macdude66 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I like the conversation view in Mail.app a lot. The one thing I'm missing is being able to delete the whole conversation at once, *including* my own sent messages.

If I click on the conversation and press delete, it deletes all the received messages in the conversation but leaves my own sent messages in the sent folder. There's no way to select multiple messages in conversation view with SHIFT or CMD.

Does anyone know how to delete a whole conversation including own sent messages?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know but I would love this feature as well. Because I use gmail I usually go to the web interface, search by the name of the other person I was e-mailing and then delete that way.
    It's a pain but I do it.

3. rimi macrumors newbie

Looking for a solution to the same problem. I think it is very lame that Mail behaves the way it does. Why would you want to keep all sent messages but delete all received ones? I keep reading email on Mail and then go to Gmail to delete the entire conversation. So inefficient!

Let's keep digging a solution for this annoyance.

4. marcelocarlosbr macrumors newbie

Exactly, that's the only issue stopping me from using Mail.

This behaviour doesn't make any sense! I sent emails do apple's support and posted in other forums about it. But apparently, not many people is worried about this problem, or they simply haven't noticed yet.

It's a shame. I hope they change this soon.

5. kiwiSwede69 macrumors newbie

As a workaround, you can create a smart mailbox in Apple Mail called say "Inbox+Sent" that contains the union of your Inbox and Sent mailboxes.

Then if you are viewing conversations in the Inbox+Sent mailbox, and you delete a conversation, all the corresponding messages from the Inbox and Sent folders will be deleted.

6. macdude66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks kiwiSwede69 for the workaround. It works like a charm!

7. NasserAE macrumors newbie

In Mail go to View - Expand All Conversations. This will show all messages sent and received in the list. Select them all and delete.

8. alain.molimard macrumors newbie

Well, you can expand the conversation you want to delete (using the arrow beside the number of item in conversation) then select the main message (top of conversation) and hit the delete key!

Voila.

Cheers

Alain