Delete Windows partition, then reinstall using the same W7 copy ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Torticoli, May 31, 2011.

1. Torticoli macrumors newbie

Hello,

First, I apologize if this has been asked here before, I didn't find it. It's probably a very basic question, but I could still use the help...

I have installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro (Home Premium Edition, CD version, legally purchased, needless to say) using Bootcamp. I've realized, however, that I seem to have underestimated the partition size necessary to install all the games I'd like to play on my Windows-Mac. I've also encountered a few bugs on W7 that I can't seem to fix (minor aesthetic things, but still). Whatever the case, I'd like to delete the Windows partition, then re-create it and reinstall W7 on it, adding a few Gb. A fresh start of sorts.

My question is this : let's say I delete the Windows partition, bringing the disk back to a single, Mac OS X partition, and then create a new partition again using Bootcamp. Will I be able to install Windows 7 on this new partition once again, using the same CD and the same product key I used the first time? I think the idea is that I can "move" my copy of W7 from computer to computer (by uninstalling and reinstalling it) as long as a particular W7 product key is only installed on a single computer at any given time. But considering I would completely delete the Windows partition it's currently installed on, wouldn't it cause some problem?

Thanks.

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

As long as it's a legitimate product key for W7, you can reinstall (on the same machine) to your heart's content (former windows users are used to reinstalling the OS once or twice a year to keep things going [relatively] smoothly).

3. Torticoli thread starter macrumors newbie

Which means the fact that I deleted the partition W7 was previously installed on doesn't change anything, as long as I'm reinstalling it on the same physical computer?
    It just seems a little surprising to me, considering the partition process. If I install W7 the first time on partition A, then delete that partition, then create a new one (partition B), shouldn't W7 consider B to be a different disk from A? I'm not sure I'm explaining what I mean very clearly...

Thanks for the answer though, I guess it will work fine from what you're telling me.

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Windows keys on computer hardware (e.g. - CPU, HDD, etc.); the software doesn't identify to MS what partition you are using.