Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceman45575

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Silicon Valley
Hello everyone,

A while ago I had Windows installed on my Mac. I thought I had deleted the partition but now I am running into some problems when I'm trying to install Ubuntu. For some reason when I try booting from my Flash Drive my Macintosh HD and USB show up but also Windows. When I click on it it just brings me to the BSOD with a sad face. When I go to disk utility I don't see anything relating to Windows but I do see a strange thing under my Macintosh HD that says 2 non mounted drives taking up 16GB. I can't find a way to delete these and have Windows fully removed. Any help is appreciated.
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 2.32.41 PM.png

Thanks!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The indication of 2 not mounted is probably the EFI and Recovery Partitions which are not mounted. 16GB does not high for those 2 partitions. Select the top device APPLE SSD AP0256 and press the Partition button. Post a picture of the the info shown.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Use diskutil list to show partitions.
Use sudo diskutil mount EFI to mount the EFI partition of the first disk.
Use open /Volumes/EFI* to open all the EFI partitions in the Finder.
In the Finder, look in the EFI folder of the EFI partition. Is there a Boot folder or a Microsoft folder?

iceman45575

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Silicon Valley
Use diskutil list to show partitions.
Use sudo diskutil mount EFI to mount the EFI partition of the first disk.
Use open /Volumes/EFI* to open all the EFI partitions in the Finder.
In the Finder, look in the EFI folder of the EFI partition. Is there a Boot folder or a Microsoft folder?
Yes there is. I should delete it right?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Is the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BootX64.efi file the exact same size in bytes as the /Volumes/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi or bootmgr.efi file? If so, then delete /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BootX64.efi (it is the Windows boot loader that is being shown to you - it is a copy of bootmgfw.efi which uses the files in the Microsoft folder for the Windows boot loader UI and blue screen).

Actually, you should probably just delete /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT and /Volumes/EFI/Microsoft since you're only booting macOS which doesn't require those. Maybe back them up to your user folder just in case.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Hello everyone,

A while ago I had Windows installed on my Mac. I thought I had deleted the partition but now I am running into some problems when I'm trying to install Ubuntu. For some reason when I try booting from my Flash Drive my Macintosh HD and USB show up but also Windows. When I click on it it just brings me to the BSOD with a sad face. When I go to disk utility I don't see anything relating to Windows but I do see a strange thing under my Macintosh HD that says 2 non mounted drives taking up 16GB. I can't find a way to delete these and have Windows fully removed. Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 950408

Thanks!
This is how it should be done by my favourite youtuber Jeff 0 to 5 Mac
i did it another way and had problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.