Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
My son deleted his "25 most played" (or something to that effect) folder from iTunes. He asked me to create a new one, but I couldn't figure it out. I searched this forum, and looked at iTunes help. I wondered if it were possible to make a smart playlist for this purpose, but decided it wasn't. I also tried reinstalling iTunes, thinking the original set up would return - it didn't.

Anyone know what he should do?

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
It is possible to create this as a smart playlist:

Something like size is greater than 0 and limit to 25 songs by most often played..... I think that would do it.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Thanks, I'll give it a try. If it works, that's great.

But at the same time - - is there no way to restore iTunes to it's original set up? I was so sure that reinstalling it would put those default folders back.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
annk said:
But at the same time - - is there no way to restore iTunes to it's original set up? I was so sure that reinstalling it would put those default folders back.

Playlists are kept in the iTunes Data file (in the iTunes folder, within Music on a Mac). If you delete this file whilst iTunes is closed, I imagine you could get that playlist back when you reimport your music but you'd lose all of your other song info such as playcounts and customised playlists. Without the playcounts, this Top 25 Smart Playlist wouldn't work very well anyway. ;)

Add to that the fact that it might not even work in the first place and I can pretty safely say that creating a new one manually is a better option. :)

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
sreedy said:
It is possible to create this as a smart playlist:

Something like size is greater than 0 and limit to 25 songs by most often played..... I think that would do it.

I did this and it worked fine, my son is happy, thanks!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Also you can create a separate user account and launch iTunes and you will see all the default playlists and fresh empty library. Then delete the account after you figured out how they did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.