Deleted a HDD icon from Finder...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Umm... I accidentally dragged my Windows bootcamp partition from the Finder and in a puff of smoke it disappeared. I only want to put it back but I can't locate a copy of that icon anywhere. Do I simply need to restart and the Windows partition icon will come back?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you go to Menu: Finder>Preferences>General... and also Sidebar you will be able to re-check the box showing all the drives where you want. This should put it back.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks that works. Except when I run VMWare Fusion, the icon disappears from the icon again. And when I quit the program, the icon doesn't go back until I reboot OS X. Is that normal?

Also, how do you rename your Windows partition made by BootCamp? Mine is still "untitled"

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, VMWare makes the icon disappear. It *SHOULD* come back when you quit VMWare, though.

As for changing the partition name, the easiest way to do it is from within Windows, rather than the Mac OS. When you have Windows up and running, open "My Computer' (Or just plain "Computer" if you're in Vista,) then click on the hard drive (drive "C",) and hit the F2 button. (If you're on a notebook keyboard, you'll have to hit "Fn-F2".) That will tell Windows you want to rename the currently selected icon. (You can also right-click on it and choose "Rename",) then just type in your new name.

Please note that Windows partition names are *NOT* case sensitive to the Mac OS, so you can't have a name like "Windows HD", it will appear as just "WINDOWS HD" to the Mac OS.