Deleted Admin Account?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjsocswim, Jun 4, 2012.

1. jjsocswim macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP used off eBay. The previous user tells me he deleted the admin account and only left guest access enabled. That seems to be the case, as far as I can tell. He did send me the username and password, which I tried to use to unlock the user accounts and add a new user, but no luck. I can only see the guest account when I restart the computer, with no option for admin login. Suggestions? I'm on OSX 10.7.4 (still have my old snow leopard discs but he didn't include the new discs for this machine).

I could just drop a new, larger hard drive in, and reinstall OSX but I'd rather not open it unless I have to.

Thanks IN ADVANCE for any help!

2. varsis macrumors regular

should be able to install a fresh copy of the os. Just format the drive. Put the disk in, hold option and boot the disk. Here you will be able to format the HD, and get a clean install!

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Depending on what machine you're working with simply installing Snow Leopard from disc may not be an option. Anything Early 2011 and newer needs at least 10.6.6 or better to boot and the best retail disc is 10.6.3.

It can be done, but it's not simple.

Could try this hack to create an admin account. Note that I haven't tried so YMMV
    http://www.hackmac.org/hacks/how-to-create-a-new-administrator-account/