Deleted apps creating console messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BazJScott, Jan 11, 2011.

1. BazJScott, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011

BazJScott macrumors newbie

I was using a program which opened my console and then I noticed in my console had messages referring to a couple of programs I removed a long time ago by dragging them to the Trash. It seems to be reporting thousands of messages every minute for one of the programs with the message "User or app not found." recurring.

This must be using resources, is there any way to stop this?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

It would help if you would post a (small) sample of the messages. Sounds like one or more apps were not correctly/completely deleted.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dragging an app to the trash does not remove everything related to that app. It's entirely possible that additional processes spawned by that app are still running.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yes, sounds like a app daemon or agent is being launched, and then is complaining about not being able to complete its mission.

A well-written uninstaller is also effective (and sadly, rather uncommon).

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not just uncommon. Non-existant.

AppZapper, AppCleaner, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
    AppZapper missed 13 items
    AppCleaner missed 11 items
    AppDelete missed 8 items​
    I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

GGJstudios... You will have a lot of time on your hands when Apple make OS X closed like iOS, so either you can't see the leftover files or OS X uninstalls Apps efficiently.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would welcome that, but I'm not holding my breath.

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

I meant an app-specific uninstaller (or a list of uninstall steps to follow) created by the developer of the app. I'm not surprised that generic uninstallers aren't very thorough.