Deleted contact email still exists in Mail.app (iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nghia Nguyen, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Nghia Nguyen macrumors member

Nghia Nguyen

Last month, I rearranged my Address Book and deleted some contacts that I no longer keep in touch with. Things seemed to be fine until today when I was composing an email on my iPhone to a friend. On the recipient field, when I started to type a letter, some random contact showed up (which happened to be a contact that I removed before). I tried to use spotlight on iPhone to search for that keywords (the email address) in purpose of deleting it, but somehow can't find it.

Is there anyway that I can completely remove the email address from that contact?

2. svenn macrumors 6502

If you send an email from the mail app to someone once, that address will forever pop up whenever you type the matching letters again. This happens regardless if they are in your contacts or not. Kind of a pain, imo, and one of the few things I dislike about mail.

3. Nghia Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

Nghia Nguyen

Thanks. Does it help if I reset all the accounts in Mail.app? Will the app reset all the previous recipients?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The only way you can clear the mail cache is to restore the phone as "New", or Jailbreak, and modify the correct file.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Most mail apps do this (even Outlook) and I don't really understand why. If it's not in my address book I don't want it popping up constantly especially if I haven't sent someone an email for ages.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, but they are easy to delete in Outlook. I wish Apple would provide a "reset" named "clear email cache", on the phone. I don't write code, but it seems like it would be simple to do.

7. BrianBaughn, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you download and run the free version of Postbox, called PostboxExpress, you will be able to see and delete all of these "collected" email addresses. Window Menu>Address Book, then select "Collected Addresses" in the left pane.

Postbox is a good alternative to Mail, also.

Edit: Hey...where did that red thumbs down come from...never mind. Must've selected it by mistake.