deleted cydia with ifunbox... bricked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sugarcane, Jun 12, 2012.

1. sugarcane macrumors newbie

So a while back I let one of my friends jailbreak my phone...
    He installed Cydia and myWiFI.

I realized shortly after shooting some video rendering my phone "full" (since I use it mainly for work communication and as a cam) that I didn't have ANY storage space anymore...anywhere. I was completely operating over capacity.

When we looked at my data, it turned out that myWiFi was taking up a significant chunk of space and had become completely obsolete any way. Of course, it wouldn't let me uninstall without uninstalling from Cydia...but Cydia wouldn't stop crashing. I'd click, and the screen would turn black, and back to home.

I deleted about 2/3rds of my apps and uploaded all the photos I had to the comp to free up space. Apparently it still wasn't enough... it started affecting my ability to text or open other apps. I'd reboot my phone and close everything just to send a text, only for it to stop working as soon as I opened anything else. It was STILL operating over capacity.

None of the fixes anyone attempted to restore Cydia (to where I could simply open and uninstall) worked. Finally... Someone suggested downloading iFunBox and deleting myWiFi and Cydia through there. It seemed to work just fine...until I went to go reboot my phone as advised "to refresh it".

I turned it off...went to turn it back on... ...apple logo.
    For hours. I did a hard reset. It'd go off, come back on within a couple seconds, and once again... sit. Just the goddamn apple logo. Again.

...From my understanding the only way to "fix" this is if I can get it to connect to iTunes and do a restore... As I travel EVERYWHERE all the time for work, it hasn't been backed up for at LEAST a handful of months. I'm trying to avoid doing a restore because I REALLY REALLY REALLY need the data in my texts.

I'm not worried about using it as a phone atm as much as I am about retrieving those messages (to specify my priorities atm, and as to why I'd rather sit with it off until I can figure it out than to just do a restore.) Can anyone advise on how to retrieve the data? Or at least let me know if this means it is bricked and I don't have any other options?

Anything at all would be super appreciated. Thank you.

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

This sucks - but you're going to have to restore... For your messages, the only options are to see if you can SSH into the phone & get them w/ the phone in its current state prior to the restore, or restore & contact your phone company & see if they'll give you a transcript or something...

3. sugarcane thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I know I should know but what is SSH?

4. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

It is a program allowing you to log in to your phone from a computer. If you don't know what it is, you have not installed it, and you would need Cydia to install it. :(

EDIT: Try connecting with ifunbox. If it can connect, you might be able to use Google to find the file where your text messages are stored. Otherwise, there is probably no other option than restoring, and begin using some kind of backup. That of course does not help you now, but may in the future.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Just use ifunbox to save your photo's
    They are in /private/var/mobile/media/dcim/apple100

Txt messages are in /private/var/library/SMS

Copy complete content of that folder and past back into your restored phone.

Mywi can easily be uninstalled via Cydia, cydia will than remain.

6. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

If the previous idea does not work (perhaps the phone does not boot far enough to allow ifunbox to connect) then there is an alternative for the really desperate:

It is possible to boot your phone in DFU mode regardless of the state of the harddisk, and to inject arbitrary code including a ramdisk running an SSH server. You can then log into your phone (the username is root and the password is alpine) and extract the two files the previous poster mentions.

WARNING: This may require some tech knowledge to get working, and I cannot help you at all since I have never done it.

Some kind of instructions can be found here:
    http://msftguy.blogspot.dk/2012/01/automatic-ssh-ramdisk-creation-and.html

Good luck! You will need it if you try this :)

Oh, and if you have an iPhone 4S it will not work. It only works for iPhone 4 or earlier.

7. fresh760 macrumors newbie

try this fix

Hi since you have your phone jailbroken if you have the tweak sbsettings installed in your phone hold down the top volume button for about 10sec and release then tap the sleep/power button if it doesnt work I got one more solution and thats to reboot your phone and as it's turning on hold the volume button and just keep holding it it should put the phone in safe mode and let you in the phone it's a setting that only works if your jailbroken and if it works and goes in safe mode connect to ifunbox and save your msm,pic,music what ever it is you need. hope this helps good luck. by the way the reason its acting up like that is because 1. you installed cydia tweaks that are not compatible with each other or not for your firmware and 2. it may be the wrong cydia program installed which means not compatible with your firmware.

8. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I think he's moved on since this was from 2 years ago. :rolleyes: