deleted ETC file and cant boot, asking for help pls pls pls

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suegannett, Aug 27, 2014.

1. suegannett macrumors newbie

hi all! you won't believe I've been using a mac for close to 20 yrs now and just did the stupidest thing to date, ugh. I bought an imac on ebay and started to clean etc and deleted a file I had never seen before named etc. when i rebooted i get black screen with error etc/master/.psswd no such file or directory. ---- i have read many previous posts and spent the last 3 hrs going thru the steps that worked for others but no luck; things I've tried 1) boot from osX 10.4.11 CD - doesn't work (can't boot from any orig install disks that do work on my other macs. tried a bunch of unix commands but keep getting file does not exist. My files are in the trash, I did not empty trash.
    Appreciate any help or ideas from my fellow mac lovers. thanks so much, Sue

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What year model is the Mac and what OS version is on it?

If it is on Lion 10.7 or better you can just command-r boot to the recovery partition and resinstall the OS overtop of itself. You will need to AppleID used to purchase the OS version though.

3. suegannett thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OSX 10.4.11 -- imac duo core 2.4 ghz processor -- g5 -- yr approx. 2003 -- 2 gb ram - bought on ebay so no apple id --

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ackk... AppleID won't matter there since it won't run any of the OS versions from the App Store. The key I think is going to be to reinstall the OS without erasing. I don't get why it won't boot from your 10.4 CD though? You have maybe another optical drive to try?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Even if you have files still in the trash - if you don't know exactly where those files came from, there's not much you can do except reinstall OS X.
    A 10.4 installer that "works on my other Macs" has to be exactly the same model Mac, if the DVD is grey - or SHOULD install if your DVD is a black disk.
    (Grey DVD comes originally with a specific Mac, and will not install on other Mac models. A black-labelled DVD will be Apple's commercial DVD, which will install on any Mac that supports that OS X version, not just one model.)
    Maybe you also have a Leopard installer (for OS X 10.5). That newer OS X may be a better fit for an iMac G5, and will be a version that has more versatility on an older Mac, to give you access to more software.

6. Ichkamo macrumors member

Ichkamo

Wait, you can access the Shell????? If you do man it's easy!!
    cd /Users/{your username}/.Trash/ #going in your trash
    sudo mv -R etc/ / #moving etc/ back to root where it belongs
    Restart #this is not a command, just restart your computer.
    IF! you can't get back you etc/ folder, then extract it from your install cd or any disk image file of the same OS version, using I don't know... Pacifist for example :)
    Hope I helped :D