Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
What's a good program that will let me see everything on a drive that's been deleted? Accidentally lost some video files on a shoot and am trying to recover them. Tried FileSalvage but it doesn't see MXF files. Any help would be great.

atomoboy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Have any luck?

Same problem here. I've tried Data Rescue II with no luck. It will find files from before I reformatted the drive but not the much newer stuff. I think it's as simple as the MXF file structure not being recognized by the program.

atomoboy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Boomerang

Boomerang lets you define custom file types. It found some of my deleted files. Calibrated Software makes a MXF reader that will allow you to open orphaned MXF files in quicktime without the XML file or P2 file structure. Good Luck!

Jeanjacques

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
mxf

Hi,
same problem solved as you suggest:
boomerang and then Calibrated software. But: I import the mxf on FCP and found all the clips are no more than 30 seconds. It depends on the fact that Calibrated software is a demo version?
thanks

seldony

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
recovered mxf files not importing into Final Cut 5.1.4

I had to do some data recovery of some mxf files from a panasonic p2.
Now the files will not import into FCP 5.1.4. Was anyone able to bring the files easily into FCP after recovery?

I tried Calibrated that allows QT to read them, but I'm not sure if or how I can make it into a usable form for FCP 5.1.4 (currently won't import) (or maybe a more recent version) or something else like iMovieHD.

Any advice/insight?

Thanks.

seldon

egilaslak

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
Same problem here! I was able to recover the right ammount of files from the P2 card, but they are in very different fileizes. Ranging from a few kilobytes to a few on a few hundre megabytes, they seem to be scrambled.

I'm unable to open them in FCP, and the biggest ones appear in Finder as scrambled.

Has anyone had any success with recovering material from a D2 flashcard?

To recover files, I tried DataRescue II with no success, and Boomerang with some success.

I found this thread: http://cstest.avid.com/forums/t/62440.aspx?PageIndex=1

She claims to have been able to rescue the files using Boomerang and using them in Avid. That might be a possible solution, but judging from the filesizes this does not look promising for my part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.