Deleted files on my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aleidfse, May 27, 2010.

1. Aleidfse macrumors newbie

i deleted files on my mac and now i moved them form the trash to the desktop. i put everything back in place (pictures, music and applications). Now all i have left are some system files and some files that are parts of software folder how do i know where to put them? is there a way i can make the computer find the right place for me ?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you using Snow Leopard? Use the "Put Back" feature...

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I think that feature only works if the files are still in the Trash. Plus I think it puts them back to their last location. Since the OP has moved them to the Desktop, Put Back won't help.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, oops.

What kind of files are they? It's possible they're of the type that gets re-created automatically by whatever program.

5. Aleidfse thread starter macrumors newbie

.sh , .ipmeta , .asi, .vdf , .txt , .dylib, .dt, .log, .df, .itdb these are the extensions . i made a mistake of moving them from trash to library so now when i hit put back it moves it to the trash and im running snow lepord

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are you having any problems running or opening things? Watch the error messages for clues about a missing file.

Obviously, you need to avoid making this mistake again. Why were you deleting things to begin with? Never put anything in the Trash if you don't know what it is. First confirm that you don't need it. If you can't confirm that, keep it!

7. Aleidfse thread starter macrumors newbie

i did it because i wanted to clear the search history under finder

so i'm guessing there's no way? never had this problem with windows just restore and im good to go :s

8. Aleidfse thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a way i can go back in time before i made this mistake say last week ? to undo it

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So, this is a habit of yours, eh? Deleting things, that is.

That's called a backup.

So, keep those files around for awhile just in case they are needed. Make an "oops!" folder for them somewhere. Use a search engine to determine what those suffixes stand for. Just input one and see what turns up. the .txt files could go anywhere, but are not likely to cause a lack of functionality due to being relocated.