Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Watermelon123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Hey! I got an iPhone 6s a few days ago and deleted Garageband because I thought I wouldn't use it and it would just take a lot of space. But now I changed my mind and want it back xD Is there any way to get it back for free - it's 4.99€ in App store?
Thanks! :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If you've already purchased it, you should be able to go to the App Store, go to the Purchased section of your Updates tab and re-download it.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Aren't these apps like GarageBand, iMovie, Numbers, Pages and Keynote always preinstalled on a new iPhone and Mac?

If you don't log in to the App Store with your Apple ID before you delete them they are gone forever as a free app and you have to pay for them because they are not linked to your ID.

I did the same mistake with a new iMac. I logged in with my old Apple ID where I already had those Apps, did a clean install, all were gone, logged in with my new ID and had to pay for every single App, what would be quite expensive for the Mac apps. So I had to use my old ID to download them for free again.

But I am sure the support can fix this for you. At least if it is your first device and you never had an Apple ID before. I once asked them about it and told, that I connected the Apple Mac Apps already three times to an ID that I don't want to use anymore on the new iMac but accidentally was logged in with the wrong ID before deleting them. They told me that they maybe can fix it, but since I have some other apps purchased with the old ID, I have to switch anyway sometimes for downloading them and did not ask anymore.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
reinstall os x.

its been years since they required ilife for garage band

if your os x version is too old and it doesnt come with garage band, then there would be a reason to upgrade to the latest version of os x.

if the genius bar installs an older version of os x, they will typically install ilife for free

my mac app store shows purchases for 2012 and 2014 persons of garage band, the copy of garage band on my computer is a 2016 one

it wasn't garage band that you had to jump though hurdles and install from older CDs or install from the app store to put it on newer computers with OS X. , that app was iDVD, if you erase iDvd , its a hassle to restore it

when you run garage band for the first time , it will install essential sounds and loops. once its installed it will ask for another 13 gigs of stuff. but the app should be on your hard disk when you install os x

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
reinstall os x.

its been years since they required ilife for garage band

if your os x version is too old and it doesnt come with garage band, then there would be a reason to upgrade to the latest version of os x.

if the genius bar installs an older version of os x, they will typically install ilife for free

my mac app store shows purchases for 2012 and 2014 persons of garage band, the copy of garage band on my computer is a 2016 one

it wasn't garage band that you had to jump though hurdles and install from older CDs or install from the app store to put it on newer computers with OS X. , that app was iDVD, if you erase iDvd , its a hassle to restore it

when you run garage band for the first time , it will install essential sounds and loops. once its installed it will ask for another 13 gigs of stuff. but the app should be on your hard disk when you install os x
Not sure that would do much for iOS.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Not sure that would do much for iOS.

iOS doesn't come with garage band

i mis understood the whole post then.

if you purchased it then go to the itunes on a friend's mac and get it for free

i went on my mac and went to itunes and searched for garage band and the 4.99 price went to FREE

if the phone had garage band originally and you deleted it, then its just a matter of going into the app store on the iPhone, and going to the store, going to purchases and then selecting not on this iPhone. and if it was on the iPhone at one point because it was purchased, a cloud icon would be next to the app where you can download it again

sorry for my earlier post . i thought it was os x garage band

go to app store
click on updates
click on purchased
click on not on this iPhone
scroll down and garage band should be there. and there should be a cloud next to it.

lastly

this is an itunes problem. you are entitled to free telephone support, because of it. so if you need garageband back , and this post doesn't help. go call apple care. and tell them this is a itunes store problem and i want my garage band back and i don't need apple care, gimmie gimme gimme
and they will help you

in america, once we buy an app - even a removed app like "ultimate warrior sound board " , you can get it back for free, because it belongs to you. heck i can even redownload the iPhone 4 case program for my 6s+ because that app belongs to me

practically no one in america can download the yemin episode of a cancelled tv show called "DR DANGER" but since i bought it for $0.00 , i can stream it or download it from the itunes store anytime i feel like it, and that should be the same for your copy of garage band. if its not because of where you live, then i don't know what else to say

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.