Deleted Garageband and ran into some trouble

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joekix, Apr 13, 2007.

1. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

hi,

earlier i deleted garageband because i never use it. i didn't think it was a big deal. i used appdelete to get rid of it and all the other little files attached to it. after i deleted it, i tried using idvd and it suddenly crashed. then i tried using imovie and it also crashed.

well, since i have a bootable back up, i used migration assistant to get garageband back. well, after i reinstalled it, all the other ilife apps worked again.

so my question is, how can i remove garageband without it affecting idvd and imovie?

thanks

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Try just dragging GarageBand to the trash and then empty it. That should still allow everything else to work.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Drag GarageBand from the Applications folder to the trash. Then go to /Library/Application Support and drag the GarageBand folder to the trash. Then /Library/Audo/Apple Loops/Apple and drag "Apple Loops for GarageBand" to the trash.

Any more space you might save using something like appdelete (maybe a couple of MBytes, if that) isn't worth screwing with the file system with a third party app.

4. joekix thread starter macrumors 6502

joekix

thanks guys. so basically, appdelete was just taking out a little "too" much.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Try moving the Garageband folder in your Hard Drive > Library > Application Support to another drive...then try opening iDVD and iMovie...if they don't crash (which they shouldn't...there's nothing in there that they need), then it's probably safe to delete that folder also. It's the folder with all the Loops, etc...so if you can get rid of that, you'll feel up more disk space.

6. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I suspect it's only the instrument loops that take any significant disk space. You'll probably gain little by trashing the app itself or its preference files.