Deleted gmail imap but still see "Gmail" folders in Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by terpfan29, Feb 23, 2011.

1. terpfan29 macrumors newbie

I just got an iPhone the other day and at first set Gmail up using the standard gmail setup in mail which resulted in the IMAP setup. I didn't like this as I don't want all of my thousands of old emails on my phone. I then discovered Google Sync which I used to sync contacts and mail and now like how it does the mail push similar to the Blackberry I just left.

However, in the Mail app, mailboxes views, I see inbox which is where the new mail messages from Gmail Sync first appear. Below Trash there is a [Gmail] folder with three subfolders below "All Mail", "Spam" and "Starred". When I clicked on all mail, it just pulled in all of the Gmail mail that was in my "inbox" on the phone.

Is this [gmail] folder supposed to be there with the Google Sync? Or is it a leftover from when I set up IMAP?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I assume you set up an exchange account, sooo, those folders are gonna be there.

3. terpfan29 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct, I set it up as Exchange. New emails go to both folders which is a pain because I have to delete/mark as read the emails in both folders. Anyway to get rid of this?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Open Mail.app, click on your individual Gmail folders, and select mailbox>use this folder for. Make the correct assignment to all your Gmail folders and that should do what you want.
    It should look like this when you get through.

Attached Files:

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Thaes are my iMAP settings. Yours may be a little different, since you have exchange, but this will give you an idea of what works. BTW, this is almost the complete opposite of the Gmail/Google recommendations, but this does indeed work. If I delete an email on the Mac, it also gets deleted from my phone, and the web app. The main reason that I use IMAP instead of Exchange, is that I don't need or want push. Depending on how much email you get, push can be a real battery sucker.:D

Attached Files:

• mail.png
      mail.png
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
  6. terpfan29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi James,

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about switching back to standard IMAP due to it seeming like my iphone's battery life is kinda going pretty fast. If so, do I just add the account in the "gmail" new account menu?

Also is there anyway to NOT bring in all emails? I just want emails going forward. I don't care if it deletes off both phone and computer since I usually prefer to get rid of as many emails on phone. Maybe I just need to cleanup gmail online before setting it up and then go from there.

7. JamesMB, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Just delete your exchange account, and add a new IMAP account. Read the next paragraph before you add it back.

Yes there is. Before you add the IMAP account back to your phone....Open your Gmail account online, select settings, select "Labs", enable "Advanced IMAP controls". Once that is enabled, you can select which folders to display on your phone.:) I don't use that, but I know that it works.

When you add the new IMAP account to your phone, If you use the settings in the two screenshots, you should be good to go.

Edit: I forgot to add, and I'm sure that you already know this, but you will have to remove the exchange account and add the IMAP account back on the computer and the phone. If you need any help with the settings on the phone, just let me know, I can send you a few screenshots.