Deleted iTunes Library File! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattpol, Jul 15, 2007.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

I write this message in complete panic. Please be gentle and kind.

So, I was in the process of restoring my iPod, and that crashed iTunes. So I did a FORCE QUIT, and when I reopened iTunes, it told me that my iTunes Library was locked.

I Googled the topic, and got some awful advice to delete the data file!!! I saved the XML Library file, and idiotically deleted the ITL data iTunes Library file.

So here I am, the XML file doesn't import all of my songs and their data (i.e. date last played, play count).

I emptied the Trash, so am assuming that the Data file is long gone. I do have a recently synched iPod from the library, could that help?

Humbly,
    Matt

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Unfortunately I think you may be out of luck. Of course you haven't lost any songs, just the info like playcounts and stuff.

3. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could try some kind of utility that recovers erased files. Your success will depend on how long it has been since you deleted the file and how much you have used your computer since you erased the file.

5. nausicaa94619 macrumors newbie

Pretty much the exact thing happened to me,
    this may not be your case but what happened for me is my itunes library was blank... so i thought i would have to go back and put each file in individually...
    there is a easier way, in itunes click Edit, then Add to Library..., select your Itunes Music Folder and it should add all of the songs in there back into your library.
    This worked for me and i hope it works for you too...