Deleted iTunes Library from the iTunes Media Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seanjdtr, Dec 1, 2014.

1. seanjdtr macrumors newbie

So I was cleaning up my hard drive space and noticed that "movies" were taking up almost 90 GB or hard drive space. I assumed it was iTunes, as an idiot child I bought so many episodes of TV shows, and then a while back I had downloaded a good amount of movies online. Well, all this media ended up taking about 40 GB of space, so I went ahead and deleted it and emptied my trash.

I don't know why I didn't realize this, but when I went back to iTunes and checked to make sure I could still redownload the things I deleted, instead of a little iCloud icon, I got an exclamation point enclosed by a circle. When I tried to watch one of my shows it told me it couldn't find the original file and had me locate it. Obviously, since I deleted all of it, I couldn't locate it.

Is there a way for iTunes to recognize that I didn't delete the episodes and movies with the actual iTunes application? I have all the shows and movies on my iPhone so could I just transfer the purchases over without actually downloading the files?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think the easiest way around this is to delete them again from within iTunes.

You could try one of the tips from this thread to help find them: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1305287

B

3. seanjdtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it seems I've found the solution. While I couldn't recover the purchased material since I didn't have ownership on my account, I DID have ownership on my mom's account which I had used to originally buy the items.

All I did was go to my mom's account and double clicked on all the shows and movies and after it said it couldn't be located it gave me the little iCloud icon.

Thanks for the suggestion though!