Deleted Limewire, now use acquisition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ronsju, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ronsju macrumors newbie

I've been using limewire on my mac for the past 3 months now and just yesterday, my computer slowed down pretty bad. My download speed was slow and my firefox wasn't responding. Anybody else have this problem with limewire. I like acquisition much better. It gives more detailed and harder to find search results. When I went to buy DJ equipment, the salesman told me buy a mac and use limewire, that's what all the DJs do. I took his advice and 3 months later freakin limewire almost ruined my mac. What do you think of Acquisition? Its not as virus infected as limwire? right? I like the Acquisition app. so I officially deleting limewire from my macbook pro.

Thanks
    Ron

2. ronsju thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to add, I deleted limewire yesterday, and my computer is running so much faster now. Before I could not download transmission and today it took less than 10 s to download. LIMEWIRE IS THE WORST. JUST A HAVEN FOR VIRUSES.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well since Acquisition and Limewire download the same files, I think you'll find that as you start to download more files, your computer will slow down. But that's what DiskWarrior or Drive Genius 2 are for!

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except you're on a Mac, so there aren't any viruses, rendering your point moot.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I believe the MacRumors official stance is "Don't steal music."

As Limewire's downloads are free and Limewire is not providing any compensation to the artists/labels featured in the files it shares, users are, in the RIAA's eyes, "stealing" music.

...With that having been said...

The salesman you were talking to is slightly behind the times. Limewire has become flooded with users who don't know very much about ripping and converting music to digital files. Many of them are in low-bitrate format that sound terrible over a PA system. A bunch of others are in WMA with the DRM protection still on, useless to anyone besides the original owner. And of course, there are the virus-laden trojans (that don't work on a Mac as Tallest Skil pointed out, but suck nonetheless) and "fake files" planted by record companies.

Many P2P music swappers have abandoned "Lamewire" as it's sometimes called, and switched to torrents.

Regardless, if you're going to be a serious DJ, and want your artists to continue to create more tunes for you to put into your setlists, buy their products, either CDs (rip to iTunes in Apple Lossless) or legal downloads. I strongly recommend Beatport for fresh DJ tunes. The artist gets a big cut of the song price, and you have a choice of formats: DRM-free MP3 at high bitrates, or the original uncompressed WAV file for those looking for uncompromised quality.

6. Adrianus macrumors member

Limewire never worked on my Mac for some reason (iBook). I tried Acquisition and got tired of looking at the advertisements, so looked for an alternative and i now use Cabos. It´s practically Limewire with a different name, but have had no problems at all.

7. Adrianus macrumors member

Isn´t true. There´s some Mac viruses out there. I download a lot and i got Norton AntiVirus to see if there were any viruses and it found 3...

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well Norton is basically a virus in itself, so if I were you, I'd find something else.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, those were Windows viruses downloaded on your computer. They were doing NOTHING to your Mac.

10. Adrianus macrumors member

Nah i´m pretty sure one was a Mac virus. I downloaded a file in the morning and the rest of the day i was getting weird stuff. Like Safari opening up by itself and going to ads.

11. Adrianus macrumors member

haha lol i agree xD

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, because none exist. Are you using Leopard? If no, continue reading this paragraph. Are you using Tiger? If yes, continue reading this paragraph. Is it Tiger on an Intel Mac? If no, continue reading this paragraph. Is it Tiger 10.4.0 to 10.4.5? If yes, continue reading this paragraph. The only thing you could have gotten was OS X/LEAP-A. Update your computer.

You're at this paragraph if you said "Yes," to Leopard or having an Intel Mac. There are no viruses. None. Zero. None work. Nothing.

13. Adrianus macrumors member

Lol aight i´m convinced. Was probably some glitch or sumin...

14. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I wish what you said was true, but alas it is not. There are mac viruses out there, albeit not even close to the number for windows, but I know for a fact that there are. Now having said that, they will never infect anyone's computer who reads this lol. They infect a select few computers, and those are people who just do stupid stuff. I am sure whoever reads this has a 99.9% chance of never getting a virus on their mac, so no worries.

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you know for a fact, please explain in detail and show it to us.

Edit: Well, now you edited your post.

16. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I edited my post cuz I spelled a word wrong. I can't show you, but I can tell you. The only time I've ever heard of a virus for mac (and I was as skeptical as you are) was when my friends had his 15" Powerbook G4 taken over. He downloaded something, I don't remember what, and for the next two days, his computer ran extremely slow, as in it took like 30 seconds to open a finder window lol. He took it to an Apple store and they told him that he had been infected with a mac virus-we both almost crapped our pants lol. They managed to save his data, but they had to reformat his HD and then restore it. I am NOT saying that mac viruses are widespread or are even a threat to anybody here, merely that there are mac viruses out there, but you would have to be extremely unlucky to get one.

17. dnguyen macrumors regular

i just started using cabos , i think it's similar to LW and Aq.

18. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

If I ever stopped using SolarSeek, and went back to a Gnutella client, I, too, would use Cabos. It worked great when I had it. It used very little resources.

19. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

20. ronsju thread starter macrumors newbie

21. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

Yeah. That video single handedly reversed my opinion of Kid Rock. I thought he was a bit of a douche before, and now I think he's pretty cool.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod