Deleted loads while trying to move content between HD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cadeaus, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Cadeaus macrumors newbie

So I recently bought a 21.5" iMac with the SSD and 1TB HDD. I only wanted to have my apps in my SSD and maximise my space by moving everything else to my HDD. Trouble is I duplicated all this content and put it in my HDD and then deleted it off my SSD. So...a lot of file associations have been lost, for instance my widget library is gone, default wallpapers are gone, and the likes of garageband have no instrument library (I fixed this by reinstalling ilife apps from the disk that came with the iMac)

I'm between two minds as to to a fresh snow leopard reinstallation or to wait for Lion. If I do wait, will this fix the problem once I boot up Lion?

Much appreciated guys!

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Did you move your entire home folder? If not, and you moved things outside of your home folder's Library folder, then yes that will break things.

OS X lets you place your home folder wherever you want (by default it's on the startup disk) via System Preferences > Accounts, then right-click on your account name and choose Advanced Options. This sounds like what you'd want to do.

3. Cadeaus thread starter macrumors newbie

I had done that but previously but much of the content associated with applications (dashboard widgets etc) are still missing.

Anyone know if when I update to Lion these will be restored?

Thanks.