Deleted mail... not deleted?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheyCallMeMike, Jun 17, 2009.

1. TheyCallMeMike macrumors newbie

Hi...

I updated to 3.0 earlier today and obviously started messing around with my phone, when I started using the searchlight function.

While messing around with it, I noticed a bunch of emails popped up... and I thought that was strange because I dont really keep emails in my phone very long, and they were a bunch of junk mails. So I went to the mail app and they werent there... I went back to searchlight, typed the letter M... and it was like every email Ive received came up.

When Id click on them, the mail app would open... but it would stay blank and not show the email... and I couldnt figure out how to permanently delete them from the phone.

Maybe its dumb... but stuff like this REALLY bugs me.

Anyone else have this happen? Does anyone know how to permanently delete them from the phone?

2. glassjaw420 macrumors newbie

A few things could be happening. The search function will also search mail on the mail server that isn't on your phone. Depending on what email service you use, does deleting from your phone delete from your actual mailbox on the server. And it's possible it is then still searching mail on the server located in the trash.

3. TheyCallMeMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Im using my Comcast mail account on my phone... receiving mail/deleting mail on my phone doesnt delete it from the server... but using Outlook express to receive the mail does. Which Ive been doing... so theres no mail on the server.

I just recently restored my phone as a new phone... I checked searchlight and no mail came up. Then set my mail up, and emailed it. I deleted the mail from my inbox then deleted it from the trash folder. Then I imported it onto my computer using outlook express... so its off the server, and I checked searchlight again. Its there... twice.

Which I noticed after I updated to 3.0. At first... when I just updated to 3.0, all the mail showed up. Then after I had 3.0... anytime I received an email, and deleted it from the inbox/trash folder... it shows up in searchlight twice. As if its showing a copy from both folders...

Hmm... weird.