Deleted Messages app in 10.9, can I get it back?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by vegavnil, Oct 2, 2013.

1. vegavnil macrumors newbie

My Messages (iMessage) app started acting up, it basically didn't show anything other than one single old conversation in it's own window, instead of the conversation list, and I couldn't bring back any other windows than that one conversation, no matter what menu bar items I clicked, that was still all that it wanted to display. Strange. And the conversation itself didn't work either, just for the record. So the app was probably just totally crashed.

But hey, that's not the issue anymore. I just decided to delete the app entirely... Now I just want it back, so is there a way to maybe restore apps from the install file for 10.9?

Thanks for any input!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The application, and its data, and its preferences are all different things, stored in different locations. Applications themselves are read-only, and never written to, so they are unlikely to be altered or corrupted. The cause of any problem is likely to be in the data files and preference files than the app itself.

Next: I presume that you're running a pre-release OS, distributed by Apple for testing, without any kind of backup? :rolleyes:

You can either reinstall the OS, or use a package installer like Pacifist from Charlesoft to extract the app from the installer. Note that the app may only be in the original FULL installer, and then have had bits modified by each new build.

3. vegavnil thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, I'm definitely not one of those people expecting a beta to run as stable as a final release! But the thing is that it has been like this from my time with Mountain Lion.

I'll check out Pacifist, thanks for the tip! :)

4. vegavnil thread starter macrumors newbie

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The tip, in case you missed it, was:

BACKUP. NOW. Or be prepared to lose files.