Deleted My Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JPssdp, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JPssdp macrumors newbie

:mad:Somehow I dragged my desktop into the trash and then emptied the trash. Everything is gone. The desktop no longer has the desktop icon but instead is a standard blue folder. Any idea why this is? Lost tons of important stuff.

I'm trying to recover everything from my hard drive using Stellar Phoenix - though I'm doubtful it will even work. Anyone use this with success? Its scanning the hard drive and bringing up way more stuff than I could have lost its not even 1/4 of the way done and has found over 40GB of files. Some of the more important files I need were .numbers and it seems like its not finding those at all.

If anyone has done this before could you please describe how you fixed it? In particular I'd like to get my desktop back to normal again.

I don't have time machine.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you emptied the trash, your only hope is the recovery software. Good luck.

3. JPssdp thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Thats what I figured. Would you have any idea why its taking so long for the recovery program to go through my hard drive?

It says "Reading unused blocks ___ of 10620183"

10million files seems like a bit of a lot to me.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's not 10 million files, but 10 million blocks ... they're different. It seems to be scanning the entire HDD for every file on it.